I Was Involved In a Car Accident, What Should I Do?

Charlotte car accident attorney

As one of the top-rated car accident attorneys in Charlotte we know exactly what you need to do if you find yourself in an auto accident. For example after a long day at work, you find yourself stopped for traffic just minding your own business, when suddenly another car smashes into the back of you.  The negligent driver jumps out of his car, and rushes to tell you he is sorry, but he has good news – the back of your car is “just fine.”  You are feeling stunned, but the at-fault party that hit you is ready to give you his liability insurance information, and he looks ready to leave the scene of the accident.

If this happens to you — what should you do?

Call the police as soon as possible so that the investigating officer can do an accident report documenting the accident. It is crucial to your case to have an accident report created even if you aren’t sure how severely hurt you and your passengers may be, and just how much property damage was done to your vehicle.  Because if it is dark, or there is inclement weather, or your car ends up in an area where you cannot see the property damage, having an accident report documents who the negligent party is, and how the accident happened.  If you are severely injured in the accident, and are transported to the hospital, the accident report will help you and your attorney assess the accident scene, identify the parties involved in the accident, and document exactly where the car accident happened.  The accident report will also identify any witnesses, estimate the property damage, and document the position of the cars. If your injuries allow you to, while you’re waiting for the police to arrive, write down any important information, such as the time of day, the road conditions, and be sure to document anything the other driver said to you.  Also, if you can safely manage to do so, take pictures of the visible property damage to your vehicle, the vehicle that hit you, and any other vehicles that were involved in the accident.

Call your automobile insurance, or go to their website to report the accident. It is a common misconception to think that by not contacting your own automobile insurance, you are avoiding an increase in your insurance premiums.  But the reality is that you have paid your insurance company your hard-earned dollars to get insurance coverage that you may need to rely on after the accident.  Collision coverage, or uninsured coverage, can help you in getting your vehicle repaired, and medical payment coverage can help you to pay accident-related medical bills.

Don’t try to wait out your injuries — get medical care immediately! It is common for back, neck, and head injuries to get worse over time, and not heal properly without medical treatment. Another problem with delaying your medical care is that the liability automobile insurance company for the negligent party may argue that your injuries are not related to the accident caused by their insured. Also, the more time that passes between an car accident, and the first time you see a medical professional, the doctors may be less able to say that your injuries are related to the automobile accident.

Have your property damage estimated as quickly as you can. Automobile body damage can often be hard to assess, particularly if your car has internal damage that is not visible to the naked eye.  It can be even more difficult to know how badly your car was damaged, especially if your car was towed from the scene to a tow yard after you were taken to the hospital via ambulance.  Have a reputable auto body shop evaluate your vehicle’s damage so that you have the knowledge of what the liability insurance company has to pay to get your car repaired.

Tippens & Zurosky Can Help. Call Today 877-872-3580

What should you do if you are involved in a car accident?

Don’t be pressured by the at-fault insurance company to settle. Utilize the knowledge and skills of an experienced car accident attorney.  Attorneys are now very specialized, so make sure you reach out to an attorney that focuses on automobile accident cases.  An experienced car accident injury law firm like Tippens & Zurosky can evaluate your case, protect your rights, and ensure that you receive fair and equitable compensation.  For twenty years, the attorneys at Tippens & Zurosky have represented people injured in automobile accidents in North Carolina and South Carolina, making sure they are treated fairly.  Let us assist you with your automobile accident, and help you get your life back to normal.

Call us toll free at (877) 872-3580, or 704-343-0018 to schedule a free consultation so that we may assist you.


Please contact us toll free at (877) 872-3580 to speak with one of our attorneys for a FREE consultation.

Why should I hire an attorney?

Tippens & Zurosky attorneys are knowledgeable, personable, and have the legal expertise to represent people that have been injured in auto accidents, or hurt on the job against the insurance companies that have adjusters, attorneys and investigators working for them.  We work for you!

Do you make house calls and hospital calls?

Tippens & Zurosky makes visits to homes, businesses, and hospitals, and our attorneys are also available to meet with clients on weekends.

Who will help me through the steps of my case?

Our attorneys are very hands-on and are available to answer client questions along with our well-trained and friendly staff.