Workers Compensation FAQ

Workers Compensation FAQ

work accident attorney

It is normal to feel confused about the workers’ compensation claim process. Although employers in North Carolina and South Carolina are supposed to publicly post information about their workers’ compensation insurance provisions, most employers don’t help employees when they suffer an injury on the job. Workers’ compensation can be confusing, and companies often are more concerned with the bottom line, and not their injured workers.

What Kinds of Workers’ Compensation Cases Are There?

There are many different types of workers’ compensation claims. An injury by accident is generally a slip, trip, fall, or accident caused by a co-worker that injures you in some way.  For example, slipping on a wet or greasy floor and breaking your ankle is an injury by accident.  A specific traumatic incident is an injury to your back, or neck caused typically by lifting something such as a heavy box.  An occupational disease which includes things like tendinitis, and carpal tunnel syndrome, is caused by repetitive motion, which means doing the same task over and over again over time.  All of these things are workers’ compensation claims.

What’s the First Thing I Should Do If I am Hurt On The Job?

If you are injured on the job, immediately report the injury and make sure your supervisor or manager does a written report of the accident or injury.  It is critical you get a copy of this report for your records, and your attorney.  Ask your employer to send you to the company physician immediately.

Does Workers’ Compensation Cover My Entire Salary?

No, workers’ comp benefits will not cover your full salary. It will reimburse your lost wages up to two-thirds of your gross weekly earnings. North Carolina and South Carolina have different maximum compensation rates which place a cap on how much a recipient can receive weekly in each state.

Can I Pick My Own Doctor?

Your company, or their workers’ compensation insurance company, has to pay for your medical care 100 percent, but they get to choose what physician you see.

When Do I Get a Worker’s Compensation Check For Being Unable to Work?

You may be entitled to receive compensation for being out of work if the doctor says you cannot work, or puts work restrictions on you that the company cannot meet.  If this is the case you are entitled to receive two thirds of your average weekly wage until such time as you return to work full-duty, or the company has a job that meets your doctor’s restrictions.

Do I Get Paid Pain & Suffering By Workers’ Compensation If I Get Hurt On the Job?

The workers’ compensation laws of North Carolina and South Carolina do not pay compensation for pain and suffering.

If I Don’t Get Pain & Suffering What Kind of Workers’ Compensation Settlement Am I Entitled to?

The final component of workers’ compensation is receiving an award for a disability rating to your injured body part.  For example after a surgery to a broken arm, your doctor may say you have an impairment rating which may entitle you to receive a settlement award from your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company.

Will My Boss Fire Me For Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim?

No, an employer in North Carolina or South Carolina cannot terminate a worker’s employment simply for requesting workers’ compensation benefits.

The attorneys of Tippens & Zurosky are here to serve your workers’ compensation needs, and has skilled and are available to answer any and all questions that you might have about your case.  Tippens & Zurosky has represented people or hurt on the job in North Carolina and South Carolina for over twenty years.  Let us answer any of your questions regarding your work-related injury.  Call us toll free at (877) 372-3580, or 704-343-0018 to schedule a consultation so that we may assist you.