Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should You Do If You’re Hurt On The Job?

Charlotte Construction Accident Attorney

Workers’ Compensation and Your Rights In North and South Carolina

The last thing most folks think about when they go to work on any given day is that they will get hurt on that job.  But, what should you do, if you do get hurt on the job?

There are many different types of workers’ compensation claims. An injury by accident is generally a slip, trip, fall, or accident caused by a co-worker that injures you in some way.  For example, slipping on a wet or greasy floor and breaking your ankle is an injury by accident.  A specific traumatic incident is an injury to your back, or neck caused typically by lifting something such as a heavy box.  An occupational disease which includes things like tendinitis, and carpal tunnel syndrome, is caused by repetitive motion, which means doing the same task over and over again over time.  All of these things are workers’ compensation claims.

If you are injured on the job, immediately report the injury and make sure your supervisor or manager does a written report of the accident or injury.  It is critical you get a copy of this report for your records, and your attorney.  Ask your employer to send you to the company physician immediately.

Your company, or their workers’ compensation insurance company has to pay for your medical care 100 percent, but they get to choose what physician you see.  You may be entitled to receive compensation for being out of work if the doctor says you cannot work, or puts work restrictions on you that the company cannot meet.  If this is the case you are entitled to receive two thirds of your average weekly wage.  The final component of workers’ compensation is receiving an award for a disability rating to your injured body part.  For example after a surgery to a broken arm, your doctor may say you have an impairment rating which may entitle you to receive a settlement award from your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company.

Workers’ compensation can be confusing, and companies often are more concerned with the bottom line, and not their injured workers. Tippens & Zurosky has knowledgeable, experienced attorneys who can fight for your rights during this often long and difficult workers’ compensation process.  Call us toll-free at 877-372-3580, or at 704-343-0018, for a free consultation.  Let us help you!